- Choose mild, strong, soft and hard cheeses to suit different tastes.
- Don’t overwhelm the plate; try to stay under 6 different cheeses-usually one blue will do. Don’t forget sheep and goat’s milk cheeses! And serve at least one familiar cheese.
- Stay away from wash-rind cheese; they’ll overwhelm the palate and take away from the other cheeses on the plate. But if you choose a wash-rind cheese, put it on a separate plate so the aroma doesn’t overwhelm the other items.
- Most people will eat between ½ ounce to 1 ounce of each cheese type, so buy accordingly.
- Present the cheeses in large chunks or wedges and serve each with its own cheese knife.
- Serve crusty baguette slices, simple white or sea salt crackers, fruit paste or jam, fresh or dried fruit, nuts or a combination.
- Add meat to your platter, such as Genoa Salami, Jambon de Paris, Proscuitto di Parm, Fennel Salami or Serrano Ham.
- Serve your cheese plate on a wooden cheese board but if you don’t have one don’t worry! A lovely glass dish or a decorative ceramic plate with be fine; however, the flatter the better.
- Always bring cheeses to room temperature before serving them. This helps bring out their flavors and textures. Serving at room temperature will ensure it is at its best!
- Use labels! This will help make your night go smoothly.
Here are a few examples with some of my favorite cheese:
Plate One: Capriole’s Fresh Chevre infused with Basil (mild, goat, soft), Singleton’s Top Hat Cheddar (mild, cow, soft), Antique Gruyere (medium, cow, semi-firm), 12 Month Manchego (medium, sheep, firm), Roaring 40s Blue (strong, cow, soft)
Plate Two: Brie Couronne with Chives (mild, cow, soft), Frisian Farms Farmstead Gouda (medium, cow, semi-firm), Tilsiter (medium, cow, firm), Idiazabal (medium, sheep, firm), Midnight Moon (medium, goat, firm)
Plate Three: Vintage 5 yr Gouda (strong, cow, firm), Emmental (medium, cow, semi-firm), Lamb Chopper (mild, sheep, semi-firm), Bucheron (mild-medium, goat, soft), Delice de Bourgogne (mild, cow, soft)
Short on time, let us help! Order a domestic or an international cheese tray today. Several tray sizes and price points are available. See page 5 of our effortless entertaining guide for more details or contact us at 317-817-9473 to order one today.
Wishing you a tasty holiday season!